In the late 1800s, the faithful of the community felt that their freedom of religious expression was being denied in the Roman Catholic Church. Many Independent Polish Roman Catholic churches emerged, of which Holy Mother of the Rosary Church was one. In general, the causes of dissatisfaction were unfair treatment of the people by the parish clergy and the hierarchy; denial of right to ownership of parish property and administration of its finances; refusal of the right to select parish priests; and assignment of non-Polish priests to Polish parishes.
Beginning in January, 1897, even before plans for the construction of the church were formulated, Holy Masses were celebrated and all religious services and ceremonies were conducted in the newly-built home of Daniel and Apolonia Twarog at 21 Chicopee Street. Construction of the church began in June at a cost of $13,500. Construction of the rectory was completed in early 1898. In June, 1897, a 4½ acre plot of land on Bennett Street was purchased for a cemetery. The church bell was blessed in September, 1901. Shortly after, the following statement was inserted in the parish chronicle:
"From henceforth, this bell, named Maryan, will ring loud and clear to the glory of God in calling the parishioners to worship. The deeply religious will heed the call and come to pray with bowed heads to the Lord of Lords. Others who do not respond to the call here surely will do so when they hear the sound of the archangel's trumpet."
Equal rights of men and women in the Polish National Catholic Church were not only stated verbally but were put into practice. In 1919, for the first time in the history of Holy Mother of the Rosary Parish, two women, Paulina Romanowicz and Elzbieta Stefanik, were elected to the parish committee.
At the end of World War II, the parishioners devoted their energies to aid their brethren in Poland. Clothing packages were prepared and sent to several priests of our Polish National Catholic Church in Poland who were in charge of distribution. Parishioners prepared bags of new and used clothing and shipped the completed parcels to Poland. Their efforts and work were given as a gift of Christian love through this missionary outreach of the parish.
A twenty-one chime carillon was dedicated on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1949, to honor five parishioners who lost their lives fighting in World War II.
Other interesting events in the history of the parish were: the introduction of the Sunday church envelope system in 1954; a prayer given in the United States Senate in Washington, D.C. by the pastor, The Rev. Louis Kaczorowski; in 1955; delegates were sent to a Special Synod in June of 1955; and a $550 donation was made to Our Saviour Parish in Union City, Connecticut, which had been destroyed by a flood in 1955. During the same year, the parish became a founding member of the Kosciuszko Foundation, a Polish cultural organization founded by Dr. Stephen P. Mierzwa, a member of our parish.
In 1966, a sign bearing the symbol of the Polish National Catholic Church and the schedule of Masses was erected near the front of the church. The original church bell, Maryan, having cracked in use, was placed beneath the sign.
Holy Mother of the Rosary Parish experienced great joy when Rev. Robert Koerber, a member of our parish, was ordained to the Sacred Priesthood. Father Koerber received the Sacrament of Holy Orders from the hands of the Prime Bishop, The Most Rev. Thaddeus F. Zielinski, on June 6, 1972 at St Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Cathedral in Scranton. On June 11 Father Koerber celebrated his First Solemn High Mass in Holy Mother of the Rosary Church in Chicopee.
In 1972, in conjunction with the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of Holy Mother of the Rosary Parish, pertinent information and artifacts were placed behind the cornerstone of the church.
Beginning with our early parishioners, we have inherited a culture, a strong Christian faith, and our Polish National Catholic Church — a Church which is "One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic". The Church, founded on the precepts of Christ and founded by Christ, has followed and will continue to follow the Divine Command to bring all people to God. By Divine Providence our parish exists today and will continue to exist as long as the Gospel of Jesus Christ is proclaimed. Holy Mother of the Rosary Parish, knowing that the Mission of Christ is far from being fulfilled, re-dedicates itself to work in building the Kingdom of God on earth through the Polish National Catholic Church. Only through "TRUTH, WORK AND STRUGGLE", can we succeed in carrying out Christ's command: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations. . . Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matthew 28: 19, 20
This brief outline of our parish history was taken from the 75th Anniversary History Committee: Rev. Robert M. Nemkovich, Frederick S. Rzeznikiewicz, Mrs. Dorothy R. Curylo, Mrs. Esther L. Wojcik, Kenneth E. Doerpholz, Sr.
Our Administrator, Father Robert Koerber, received a profound inspiration at an early age to follow the path that led him to his position. As a child in our parish, he was an altar server for many years. Following completion of his studies at seminary, he was ordained, receiving the Sacrament of Holy Orders from the hands of the Prime Bishop, The Most Rev. Thaddeus Zielinski, on June 6, 1972 at St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Cathedral in Scranton, Pennsylvania. On June 11, 1972, Father Koerber celebrated his First Solemn High Mass in Holy Mother of the Rosary Church in Chicopee, his original home parish. Father Koerber is the pastor of Holy Name of Jesus Polish National Catholic Church in South Deerfield, Massachusetts.
Visit our diocesan website to learn more about our core beliefs and principles.